Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sketchup model 2, plus stairs and gallery



Here is my second attempt, and one that I am definitely more pleased with.
Above ground: abstract
Below ground: bizarre
I wanted my above ground studio to be reminiscent of a play ground, as well as bearing the hallmarks of the Goodwin sculpture from which it is derived. The height of the structure, its obvious safety risks, and its haphazard nature I think give it an interesting appeal. I wanted the below ground studio to have a strange yet elegant shape, while reminding the viewer of Piccinini's Nature's Little Helpers - Surrogate. If you look at the overall shape of the structure it is vaguely similar to the clawed arm of Piccinini's work. The gallery is intentionally plainer, to act as a counterweight or buffer to the two rather odd designs above and below it. At the same time I wanted it to incorporate features of both studios.
By the way, if anyone was wondering, those crane-like structures on top of the above ground studio are just that... a vague representation of how Goodwin would move his materials and work from the studio to the gallery.
Materials used: Steel, concrete and glass.

The overall model: above, below and gallery.

Above ground and the gallery.


Below ground.
I wanted the stairs to be as varied and interesting as the overall studios.





The section I based the model on is the bottom one in this picture (obviously!).

No comments:

Post a Comment